Important Facts Pertaining to the Health Department Rules and Regulations
The Health Department Agent has the authority to make surprise inspections at any given time to inspect all areas of any Hotel and/or Casino. They will show you their badge and introduce themselves as an agent for the Health Department and you should answer any of their questions and/or inquiries to the best of your knowledge. If enough infractions are found in that area, they do have the authority to downgrade or close down any area that is not up to code.
The most common infractions to be aware of are as follows:
1. No hot water at the hand washing sink.
2. No soap or paper towels at the hand washing sink.
3. Expired products such as milk, cream, or undocumented items in the refrigerator.
4. Dirty and/or moldy gun nozzles.
5. Dirty or unclean refrigerator.
6. Yeast bacteria build-up in the draft beer nozzle.
7. Moldy and/or dirty condition in your ice machine.
8. Moldy and/or dirty condition in the ice machine.
9. Transporting glasses with fingers inside.
10. No utensils in the fruit tray.
11. Retrieving items from the floor and not washing hands immediately afterwards.
12. Touching face, hair or any other body part and not immediately washing hands.
13. Returning to shift after breaks and not first washing hands before serving guest(s).
14. Drinking, eating or chewing gum while on work station.
15. Smoking outside work station area and proceeding to serve guests before washing hands.
16. Accidentally breaking glass over ice sink (or bin) and trying to remove pieces of glass instead of burning all of the ice and replacing with new, clean ice.
17. Improper handling and storage of the ice scoop.
18. Personal appearance, hygiene, and length and cleanliness of hair is of the utmost importance. A clean, presentable appearance is an absolute necessity.
19. Improper handling of the sanitizer bucket and bar towels will lead to an infraction.
20. Health cards must be on your person and up-to-date or you will be asked to leave your station and unable to return to work until the card is renewed. If you are asked to show your Health Card, remember to wash your hands immediately afterwards.
Please remember that there are many more infractions not listed and that at all times you should be respectful and courteous and NEVER argue with the Health Department Representative. Always answer them by saying yes or no sir/ma’am.